Saturday, March 29, 2014

Venice Realized


 “Amazing.”

For the past week, ever since I got back to the United States, people have been asking me how my spring break trip to Venice was…and all I can say is “amazing.” In my first post, I detailed what I imagined Venice to be like and concluded that I did not fully know what to expect. I figured that the city would be so much better than anything I could possibly think of, and I was certainly right. I expected to see canalside cafes, gondolas, and Italians milling about. I expected to see beautiful scenes, much like those that have become famous on Pinterest. My expectations were certainly fulfilled. I saw Italians walking slowly while tourists rushed around them. I saw my fair share of beautiful scenes, and I took pictures of many of them. Though my pictures aren’t as vivid and bright as those on Pinterest (since I do not edit them), they are beautiful in their own regard. Seeing all of these different things in person was so much better than any picture I could have seen, though, because I got to have the full experience. Not only did I see all these things, but I ate in a couple of cafes with outdoor tables that looked out onto busy squares (campi) or canals. I rode in a gondola, which was a wonderful experience that allowed me to see Venice from a new and different point of view.
A typical Pinterest photo of Burano - what I expected to see
In The Art of Travel, Alain de Botton discusses all aspects of travel, from the anticipation to the return home. During his trip to Barbados, he found that his high expectations caused him to be disappointed once he arrived. He suggests that once we are actually seeing a place (previously pictured mentally) in person, the experience is quite different because we bring our worries, stresses, and thoughts along with us. I tried not to have too many expectations before I left for Venice because I did not want to be disappointed like de Botton seemed to be. I tried not to look at too many pictures or read too many descriptions about the city, though so many people have been to Venice (and enthusiastically detailed their trips) that this was practically impossible. This strategy actually worked pretty well for me! Yes, I brought along some of my worries and stresses from home, but I found that being in such a lively and beautiful city eased my mind. I was able to become involved in the city, to feel like I was a part of it, and that made the experience so much better than I could have expected. I was not disappointed at all; in fact, I felt that seeing Pinterest-immortalized scenes in person was much better than seeing them online. Pictures, I found, do not do Venice justice. Being there and experiencing life in the city was amazing; no picture can even come close to that.
One of my pictures of Burano - Pinterest worthy!
Upon his return, De Botton found that nothing at home had changed. Even though he himself had experienced a multitude of new things, the city “was unimpressed. It was still raining. The park was still a pond; the skies were still funereal.” I had a similar experience once I returned to Indiana. I had seen gorgeous art and architecture, traveled on many vaporetti, eaten pizza, pasta, seafood, and gelato, and learned a bit of Italian; I felt like a completely different person. West Lafayette, on the other hand, felt like it hadn’t changed at all. There were the same gray skies and cold temperatures, and my apartment was exactly as I had left it. It seemed like I had dreamed my entire week in Venice.

As the last few days have passed and I have finally conquered my jet lag, I have been able to reminisce on my week in Venice. I was able to fully immerse myself in the Venetian culture, especially during my free time that week. I ate Venetian foods and tried to act as much like a local as I could. I learned how to navigate a city when I do not speak the local language, though I also learned a few phrases in Italian. I developed an appreciation, like I have never had before, for art and architecture. I walked until I thought my feet would break—and then I walked some more. I experienced an absolutely amazing city, and I will always treasure my memories and pictures from this trip. Though my “home” did not seem to change, I feel that I have changed and am a different, more experienced person after my trip. I truly had the time of my life in Venice, and I would not trade my week there for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment