Friday, March 28, 2014

A Newfound Appreciation for Art and Architecture (Extra Blog Post #3)


Before I went to Venice, I had never considered art to be my “thing”. My mind is very scientific, and my thoughts tend to be cut-and-dry. I considered art to be part of a gray area, something beautiful but largely over-analyzed, while I preferred to think primarily in black and white. So, when I heard that the study abroad program in Venice would be studying a lot of art and architecture, I was a little bit worried. But, I figured, I would finally be able to travel to Italy, so it would all be worth it in the end (no matter how painful it would be to look at all of these things).

Everything changed when I got to Venice, though. The city itself was so beautiful that the (sometime ornate) architecture seemed perfectly in place; elsewhere, it might not fit in so well. I found myself absolutely consumed by the beautiful buildings, some of which completely dominated my small stature. As we visited churches, I could understand the differences between Medieval and Renaissance architecture. I could finally comprehend the paradigm shift that my professor had been telling us about: medieval churches were dominating and huge, and they emphasized the distinction between God and humans. Renaissance churches, on the other hand, were all about beauty. At this point, what people saw meant much more than the size of the church. People of the Renaissance must have appreciated the churches of their time much more than the Medieval churches; this is likely why architects began to become famous and have their own certain “styles” at this time.
A huge Medieval church - standing by this made me feel tiny!
In Venice, I also found myself more interested and appreciative of art than ever before. I had always avoided art museums and exhibits; in fact, when I went to Paris I didn’t even go to the Louvre! I did not see the point in looking at art and analyzing it—I thought that what the observer sees was what the artist meant. There was no special meaning behind it. Again, this mindset changed when I was in Venice. I found myself taken with the artists’ portrayals of various Bible themes and stories. I even appreciated (and could distinguish) the different styles of artists like Tintoretto, Giotto, and Titian! One of my favorite activities during our trip was a walking tour of various Tintoretto portrayals of the Last Supper. We only saw three of the seven Last Suppers during this tour, but I still loved it! I was especially taken with the first painting we saw, which was in the church of San Stefano. 
My favorite of Tintoretto's Last Supper paintings - from wikipedia.org
This painting is full of motion, and the viewer can see that the disciples and various other attendees were in the middle of moving. Everyone at the table seems to be focused on Jesus (or in his general direction), which is not always the case in portrayals of the Last Supper. One woman, toward the bottom left of the painting, looks especially hurried; this specifically struck me for some reason. Tintoretto’s painting was so lifelike that it seemed almost like a picture, and it still comes to my mind easily a week after I first saw it.

Though I did develop a new appreciation for art and architecture during my trip to Venice, I am not sure I will continue to pursue it in the future. This is not because of anything that happened; rather, I believe that I will never be able to have an experience quite like my Venetian art experience ever again! In Venice, there are so many beautiful works of art and architecture in such a small area. This is extremely unique, and I do not know of any other city that has so much. Nonetheless, I will look back fondly upon my time in Venice, especially the parts spent studying art and architecture. My future art and architecture studies will just have to wait until I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment