Thursday, March 6, 2014

Venice Imagined


In the first chapter of his book The Art of Travel, Alain de Botton suggests that our destinations are never quite what we imagine them to be. He quickly adds that the reality of travel is not necessarily disappointing but that it is inherently different than what we expect.  I have traveled abroad a few times, and none of those experiences have been exactly what I expected. That, in my opinion, is what is great about travel. I have traveled places and experienced new and unexpected things, and because of those experiences my life has changed. I hope to continue having life-changing experiences in Venice this spring break.
 
A typical picture of Venice, complete with gondolas
When I think about Venice, the images that pop into my mind all involve gondolas and canals: gondoliers in striped shirts maneuvering their boats through the city’s winding canals, lovers being serenaded by a gondolier as they pass by dimly-lighted buildings on either side of the water. Venice has so much more to offer than just gondolas and canals, though. It has museums, cathedrals, shops, and restaurants. All of these things draw me in; still, oddly, I focus on the images of gondolas and canals!

De Botton once traveled to Barbados just because a travel brochure made the island look beautiful and desirable. My research into Venice has been largely image-based as well. I have seen many gorgeous pictures of Venice, though in this technological age I have found them through Pinterest rather than brochures. The vast majority of these photos are canal scenes, most of which include a gondola. Some are at night, some during daylight hours, but all are equally vivid and beautiful. De Botton found that, upon his arrival in Barbados, nothing was quite as he expected. He stood in a position to see one of the exact scenes pictured in his brochure and still found it different just by his being there. I expect to have the same experience in Venice. I am sure that seeing Venetian scenes in person will be different, since I will actually be there instead of viewing edited pictures through my computer screen. However, I do not expect this difference to be bad. I believe that seeing the scene in person, hearing the sounds of passersby, and being immersed in the Venetian culture will make the experience exponentially better. Though the picture I see may not be beautifully edited for the consumers’ enjoyment, it will be real and I will be experiencing it in person.
 
I can't wait to see this in person - even though the colors won't be so vibrant, it will still be fantastic to experience!
Though these visual expectations I have of Venice seem great, I believe that actually being in Venice will be much better. I plan to see the scenes immortalized in Pinterest photos, and I may even ride in a gondola (to be the quintessential tourist). I will try a Venetian cappuccino, as I have been advised to do, and I will eat as much gelato and pasta as I possibly can. I will visit museums and see all kinds of architectural beauty. I will even attend mass at the Basilica de San Marco! Though these plans are all exciting, I am most anticipating the experience of just being there. I have heard about people being enchanted by a city, and I sincerely hope that happens in Venice. I know that this destination will not be what I expect, but I believe it will surpass my expectations. After all, Venice is like no other place on Earth—I hardly know what to expect!

No comments:

Post a Comment